Panini Peek: 2011 Donruss Elite Football
You could say 2011 marks a new chapter in the hallowed history of Donruss Elite Football. More accurately, though, it marks a completely new book.
For the first time in company history, Panini America will produce multiplayer autographed memorabilia booklet cards and will unveil the concept — no doubt to considerable fanfare — in the June release of 2011 Donruss Elite Football on the popular and venerable Throwback Threads insert.
“Man, these booklet cards are absolutely beautiful and Throwback Threads was seemingly tailor made for the concept,” says Panini America NFL Brand Manager Carlos Torrez. “Of all the years I’ve been working on Donruss Elite, this is by far my favorite set yet. I can’t wait for collectors to see our version of the booklet card. They’re going to be blown away.”
The product is slated to release June 15 with a $6 SRP for five-card packs. Boxes contain 20 packs and will yield four autograph or memorabilia cards (at least one autograph guaranteed), four Rookie Cards (#’d to 999), one Aspirations or Status parallel and seven additional inserts or parallels.
Every 12-box case will deliver either a booklet or dual-signed Passing the Torch card and one or more autographs from a checklist that includes Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Adrian Peterson, Cam Newton, Jake Locker and Mark Ingram among others.
Other highlights from 2011 Donruss Elite Football include:
- A 200-card set with 100 base veterans and 1oo rookies
- NFL Shield and Team Logo on-card signatures from top 2011 rookies
- Autographed RC parallels numbered to 499 or less
- Aspirations and Status Die-Cuts numbered to 49 or less
- A Throwback Threads checklist featuring Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith and Dan Marino
- New Passing the Torch combinations such as Peyton Manning/Sam Bradford, LaDainian Tomlinson/Ryan Mathews, John Elway/Tim Tebow and Michael Irvin/Dez Bryant
“When building any program, I always look to provide the most value for collectors,” Torrez says. “I also look to see what worked in past programs and bring back key elements that make collectors keep visiting their local hobby shops. The addition of Throwback Threads booklet cards and new pairings in the Passing the Torch autograph set should do exactly that.”
Stay tuned to The Knight’s Lance for updates on 2011 Donruss Elite Football as the launch date draws closer.